Fibromyalgia is a chronic syndrome with no cure, A thorough understanding of the illness experience is therefore key in the palliative care of patients with this condition, This is a personal experience of a woman with fibromyalgia.
This lady says: My love-hate relationship with fibromyalgia, While the hate side of this is easy to understand (seriously wouldn’t wish this on anyone) the love side has grown in recent years, Here are some of my personal silver linings that are directly due to having fibromyalgia. When I’m having a flare (like right now) I do a mental check list as one of my tools against the pain, living with fibromyalgia.
1. I tried yoga early on as recommended. I eventually fell so in love with it I am now a yoga teacher, I love working with our community and others who think yoga is only for the crazy flexible .
2. I started therapy to cope with fibromyalgia (anger didn’t work) and have drastically improved so many more aspects of my life.
3. 4 years ago I reached rock bottom with weight and could barely move and had weight loss surgery. I literally have a second life because of this surgery.
4. My husband and I had to learn this disease together and while it caused a lot of strain while we made missteps and learned, we did it together and our whole family is more open about things and closer now. At one point we had separate places and were divorcing, now we are way happier than we were before everything.
5. Making me slow down made me realize I was unhappy following the path I was on in life. I had a career, husband, son, dog, house, etc. .. Therapy helped me realize I was doing what I was supposed to, but it wasn’t authentically what I WANTED to be doing. So I started soul searching and becoming my most authentic self.
6. Today I walked away from my career of 20 years in healthcare. I left because I cannot do full work days without naps or long periods of rest and I also knew the fast-paced and high-stress career was the last piece of my life I had to find a way to change for my health. I found another passion making essential oil products so I’m teaching some yoga and doing that. 🤞Hoping it works out but I know I’ll figure it out somehow if it doesn’t.
Really sit awake in the dark house while everyone sleeps painful thing
On the plus side, I pre-paced myself this week knowing it was going to be daunting physically and emotionally, so this mini flare is nothing compared to what it probably would’ve been.
All my love to fibromyalgia, this is no joke, I’m determined to deal with it with a positive mental attitude. This gives me hope and strength.